What is report?
Report is a well arranged factual information or event that is written for the target of informing a particular audience. It is a short composition describing an event or occurrence.
Report writing includes incidents, events, occasions, ceremonies, festivals etc.
Each report should contain the following points.
- Introduction: This part of report presents the subject or topic sentence of a report.
- Description or main body: This part describes the topic sentence with factual information and outlined in a meaningful logical order.
- Ending or conclusion: This part mainly emphasizes on the purpose of the report.
8 rules for writing effective report:
- The idea of a topic should be developed directly with active sentence. There is no forbid on the use of direct or indirect narration.
- Specific numbers (example: $ 10000) should be given instead of general reference (example: a lot of money).
- Description of report should be in descending order of importance.
- Rhetoric or overstate should be avoided.
- Never use the word “I”. To avoid this try to use passive clause.
Don’t write: I saw that…
Write: It was seen that…
- Events should be factual or real not imaginary.
- Tone of report should be impersonal and objective.
- Try to keep everything in short.
Types of report
There are different types of report.
- Formal or Informal Report
- Authorized report
- Routine report
- Special report
- Internal report
- External report
- Informational report
- Analytical report
- News report
- Business report
A List of some important report writing for the students
- A report on fire in Garment Factory.
- A report on the life of a garment workers.
- A report on the prize-giving ceremony held in your college/school.
- A report on visiting a book fair report writing.
- A report on deforestation and its harmful effect.
- A report writing on drug addiction.
- A report on price hike of essential commodities.
- A report on a road accident.
- A report on slum dwellers.
- A report on load shedding.
- A report on the causes of students’ failure in English.
- A report on the bad effect of Facebook on the young generation.
- A report on the celebration of the birth anniversary of our national poet Kazi Nazrul Islam.
- A report on traffic jam.